Bring me my Bow of burning gold; bring me my Arrows of Desire ~~ William Blake

Saturday, December 31, 2011

As the old year turns new...

A few days ago I began to write a post--but I did not have words to finish it.

I learned on Wednesday that Valentin will not be coming home yet.

The dad of his new family-to-be went to Valentin's country to meet him, intending to complete the adoption. He met Valentin and visited with him more than once. During those visits he found that Valentin's needs are more severe than had been realized. The family realized that, though they loved Valentin, they would not be able to give him the care he needs. And so they made the hard, hard decision not to proceed with the adoption.

I've linked to some of their blog posts so you can read their story in their words.

I have thought so much about Valentin these last few days. I thought of him this afternoon, asleep in his crib as the new year arrived in his country. I thought of him as we enjoyed New Year's eve with my parents and sisters, nieces and nephews.

I am remembering Valentin.



Edited to add: I began to write on Wednesday the 28th, but finished on Saturday the 31st. Just now I saw it was posted with a date of the 28th, so I have changed the date to reflect the time I actually finished and posted. - Desert Lily, 2 January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment